Tuesday, March 09, 2010

And so the stage was set when Chris and Jaylene asked me if I would like to live at their homestead as a farmhand. They would give me room, board, and a small salary in exchange for helping out with the children, goats, garden, and other chores. I could bring my own goats along with me, as well as Laddie. I had been visiting quite a bit with them when I went over to do work at their place. I liked the way they treated me, that the work schedule was reasonable, that I got to eat lunch, and to drink water when I was thirsty while working.

Jaylene was a Buddhist and Chris seemed to be either Atheist or Agnostic, but they were alright with the fact that I was heavily into a mix of Orthodox Judaism and the beliefs Mom and my stepfather had taught us. I would be allowed to have Sabbath off. I could plant my own stuff there. Eventually, I wanted a farm of my own, but it seemed like an ideal opportunity to get experience, to get away from my parents, who were talking about making me live there until I married, and to save money to get a place of my own. Land was still fairly cheap, only about $200 an acre. If I saved for a year or two, sold extra goats and stuff that I grew, maybe I could have a place of my own someday.

I accepted this offer, and we agreed that I would not tell my parents. After all, I had been an adult for six months already. I didn't want to have to get married just to get away from there.

I waited until they went to town one day, and then I told Sarah of my plan. Oddly enough, she didn't seem to blame me for wanting to leave. I took my backpack, which was already packed, and had her cover for me so that Raphah and Rachel wouldn't notice I was leaving. It was three miles from our driveway to the road that led to Chris and Jaylene's house. From the highway, it was another two and a half miles, and since the road was very muddy, they typically walked in and out. I walked quickly, but with every car that passed, I was afraid Mom and Eliyah would see me, stop, and make me go with them. After two miles, just after milemarker 5, I saw the faded red International Scout; Chris and Jaylene had stopped by our house, gathered from Sarah that I was gone, and were hurrying to pick me up for the final mile to the muddy road.

I was euphoric, and so was my new family. The children liked me and were happy I was coming to live with them. They chattered and asked questions. I had always wanted children and it hurt me to know that now I wouldn't ever have any, because I would never marry or take a mate. Being able to relate to these children eased that loss a little bit. We were giddy with victory and enthusiasm the entire 2.5 muddy miles home. I learned from Jaylene that my mom had told them that I was dropped on my head as an infant, and that I was retarded! That was why they were so shocked that I had read the goat books several times over before they came back a few days later. Meanwhile, she'd been telling me that she didn't want me to go to town with her because people assumed I was retarded due to my behavior. It was true that I was extremely shy and timid, but hearing Mom say that I acted retarded did nothing at all for my self confidence. Apparently it had all been an elaborate head trip designed to either keep me under control, or to cover for the lapses in homeschooling. I wasn't sure which it was, possibly both, but it was pretty insulting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home